Warm Mushroom Salad
Its almost fall, so that means yummy warming foods are on the menu now! This warm mushroom salad will check all the boxes for you, healthy, delicious, nutritionally dense, comforting, and it has bacon! Try this fun new side dish, if you are a mushroom fan your wont be disappointed!
Prep time: |
Cook time: |
Yield: 4-6 people
- 6 strips bacon, diced
- 1 bag baby spinach, approx 6 cups
- 2-3 Portobello mushrooms, stem and gills removed
- 2 cup sliced mushrooms – Button, Crimini, Chanterelle, Shitake, Oyster, etc. or all of the above!
- ½ cup red/sweet onion, diced
- fresh thyme/rosemary, plucked from stems, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ pint cherry tomatoes
- ½ red/yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
- Layout bacon in a cold pan. Fry on medium-high until crisp. Remove bacon from pan but reserve bacon fat.
- Remove stems from portabella mushrooms and scrape the black gills on the underside of the mushroom with a spoon. Cut in half and slice into ½ cm strips. Slice the rest of the mushrooms the same way (leave gills and stems on). Fry mushrooms and onions in bacon fat until mushrooms darken in color and soften.
- Add fresh herbs and balsamic vinegar to the pan. Remove from heat and pour over plated spinach.
- Sautee tomatoes and peppers in hot pan 1-2 minutes until tomatoes just start to blister. Add atop mushrooms and spinach.