Easy Vegetable Minestrone
This lovely rustic soup is wonderful with a finishing touch of grated romano cheese
Prep time: |
Cook time: |
Yield: 4 bowls +
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 2 large carrots sliced or 2 cups squash or sweet potato
- 2 cups kale leaves, finely chopped (no stems) * option of using baby spinach instead
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 4 cups Vegetable Broth, Low-Sodium (homemade is best)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14 oz. or larger) low sodium
- 1 can legumes (green lentils, black beans, kidney beans 19 oz.) rinsed well
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup basil pesto, optional but adds wonderful flavour
Place all ingredients in a stock pot, except the kale and quinoa in the pot.
Bring to boil and then simmer on stove top for 15 to 20 minutes. Add kale for last 5 minutes.
Slow cooker, 4 hours, add kale for last 10 minutes
Remove from heat, place a scoop of quinoa in each bowl, top with soup and pesto or cheese.
*Spinach option add 1 cup of baby spinach to the bottom of each bowl with the quinoa and then carry on with soup etc. (this replaces the kale)
Good things about the recipe: low calorie, fat, sodium, good source of protein, fiber & whole grains, boosts immunity & promotes alkalinity.
2 servings of vegetables per bowl. Very tasty and hardy soup.