Turkey, White Bean and Kale Soup
Modified from a Chatelaine Recipe. Easy to make.
Prep time: |
Cook time: |
Yield: 5-6 servings
- 500 g turkey sausages, about 5, casings removed
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, or poblano pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 900-mL carton low-sodium chicken broth
- 540-mL can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked pumpkin or squash puree’
- 2 cups packed chopped kale
- 1/4 cup lime juice
Heat a large pot over medium. Add sausages. Using a fork to break up meat, cook, stirring often, until no pink remains, 4 to 5 min.
Stir in onion, pepper, garlic, chili powder and tomato paste. Cook until onion starts to soften, 2 to 3 min.
Add broth and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-high.
Add beans, pumpkin or squash and kale. Cook, stirring occasionally, until kale is cooked, about 5 more min.
Remove from heat. Stir in lime juice just before serving.
High in fiber, beta carotene and protein.