Steak & Kale Summer Salad
Prep time: |
Cook time: |
Yield: 2-3 people
- 12 oz lean steak (striploin/sirloin)
- 1 tsp fennel seed, crushed
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- salt and pepper
- 1 bunch kale, purple or green
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ shallot, minced
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard, grainy preferred
- 1 small yam
- pinch of ground cloves
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- 1 tsp Chinese five-spice (or cinnamon)
- ½ pomegranate, seeds
- ¼ cup fennel root, julienne
- 2 Tbsp walnuts
- Rub steak with maple syrup, crushed fennel seeds, coarse salt, and coarse pepper. Bring to room temperature before grilling (approx. 1 hour).
- Cut kale leaves from the spines of the kale. Roll into fist-sized bunches to make it easier to slice into thin ribbons (approx. ½ cm.).
- Mix lemon juice, olive oil, shallot, and Dijon together and massage into kale ribbons. Gently rub dressing into kale to break down the fibrous leaves.
- Cut yam in ¼ and slice into ½ cm pieces. Season with a pinch of cloves, salt and pepper, and melted coconut oil. Bake on a parchment-lined pan at 400F for 8-10 mins or sauté until just softened. Remove from pan and cool.
- Grill steaks and allow at least 10 minutes to rest before slicing very thin against the grain.
- Plate kale topped with pomegranate seeds, fennel root, five-spice apples, yams, and top with crushed walnuts and steak pieces. Serve with extra maple balsamic vinaigrette if desired.