Food is medicine, and certain types of food will nourish different parts of the body. Choosing a few of the foods that are good for your lungs will decrease inflammation, improve breathing, keep airways strong, protect against pulmonary issues, and feed and nourish the body.
Here are 5 foods that are the best for your lungs:
- Garlic – specifically raw garlic – Garlic is very anti-inflammatory for the whole body but especially for the body’s airways, it does this by protecting the lung against oxidative stress.
- Wild Salmon – Salmon is full of omega 3 fatty acid which is very anti-inflammatory for the lungs. It is proven that heart-healthy fats like omega 3 fatty acids could help promote pulmonary blood flow and may be beneficial for certain respiratory conditions.
- Tumeric – Tumeric is one of the most inflammation-reducing foods you can consume. Which makes it one of the best foods for your lungs. Research suggests that the anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric could aid in the treatment of several respiratory conditions, such as asthma, COPD, acute respiratory distress syndrome, lung injury, and pulmonary fibrosis.
- Avocados – Avocados contain one of the highest amounts of potassium in it. Potassium has been shown to help the lungs contract and expand, which helps with breathing. Avocados are also another amazing source of healthy fatty acids so they are great form lowering inflammation as well.
- Green Tea – Green tea is full of antioxidants and polyphenols that can be beneficial for lung function. Green tea has been shown to help suppress lung cancer cell growth in vitro studies. Green tea also has theophylline, which is a powerful compound that acts as a bronchodilator to improve airway function and ease breathing difficulties.
Eat these foods on a regular basis, or make sure they appear on your plate from time to time and your lung will be very grateful.