Rustic Butternut Squash Soup
Tis the season for some hearty full of love and good fat warm your soul soup! We tend to crave things that are in season because that is what our bodies were designed to do, eat off the land. Now that its winter our bodies tell us to stock up on hearty nutritional dense foods like this
By Hannah Moore, CNP, RNCP PRINT RECIPE
Prep time: | Cook time: | Total time:
Yield: for 6-8 people
- 2 butternut squash (medium size)
- 1 large white or yellow onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 Tbsp mild curry powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 8 cups chicken stock (homemade)
- 1 can coconut milk
- Peel squash (wear gloves), chop and season all vegetables and mix everything in a large roasting pan except the chicken stock and coconut milk.
- Roast veggies uncovered at 400F for 45 minutes until veggies soften and get some color.
- Pour veggies into large pot, using a spatula to scrape seasonings and crispy veggie bits from the bottom of the roasting pan into the pot.
- Cover with chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are all soft.
- Puree in a blender in batches or use an immersion blender (wand mixer) to blend soup to a velvety smooth texture.
- Add coconut milk and adjust seasonings to taste.
- Garnish with minced red pepper and green onion rings, maple coconut cream (1/2 Tbsp dark maple syrup, ½ cup coconut fat) or cilantro cream (3 Tbsp fresh chopped cilantro, ½ cup coconut fat).