Fish oils otherwise known as Omega 3’s are an essential aspect of every healthy growing kids’ diet (adults too for that matter!) You can
Fish oils contain EPA and DHA, which are 2 types of essential omega 3 fatty acids. The word essential means our bodies do not produce them so we must get them either by the food we eat, for example, sardines, tuna, salmon, mackerel, herring, bluefish, and black cod, or by taking supplements. Research shows that EPA and DHA, are essential for behavioral and mental wellness in children, but children are not meeting recommendations.
How can fish oils Help with ADD and ADHD?
Research shows that children and adults living with ADHD/ADD have lower levels of omega-3 in their bodies compared to people who do not have ADHD/ADD. This does not mean that having low levels of omega-3 causes ADHD/ADD or that taking an omega supplement will cure ADD/ADHD. However, research shows that taking a supplement can improve your ADHD/ADD symptoms, which is great news!
When there are low levels of omega-3 in the body, it may cause a variety of cognitive and mood problems some of which can be similar to ADD/ADHD symptoms. There is lots of evidence that shows fish oil can help improve ADD/ADHD symptoms. Some findings suggest that fish oil supplements may improve the mental skills of children with the disorder who are 8 to 12 years old. For instance, it may help improve a child’s ability to organize activities. A specific supplement of fish oil containing DHA and EPA was used in one study. The results showed improvements with hyperactivity, inattentiveness, ability to think clearly, and overall behavior in children with ADHD/ADD who were 7 to 12 years old.
There are many benefits to taking a fish oil supplement, here are some of them:
- Improvement of ADD/ADHD symptoms such as improved attention, ability to focus and memory.
- May contribute to a reduction in the symptoms of coexisting ADD/ADHD conditions, such as anxiety, depression, and bipolar disorder.
- Possible reduction in side effects from stimulant medication prescribed for your ADD/ADHD. As always check with your doctor before taking supplements.
- Many women with ADHD suffer from PMS, and their ADHD symptoms are exacerbated. Taking an omega-3 supplement can reduce PMS symptoms.
- Improve your general health. When you are living with ADHD it is easy to forget other aspects of your health too. Omega-3 can help with cholesterol levels, heart health and decrease asthma symptoms.
- Omega 3’s will lower whole-body inflammation
- Omega 3’s will lower joint pain and stiffness
- Omega 3’s will help balance hormonal diruption
- Omega 3’s will improve energy
- Omega 3’s will improve brain function and fog
When looking for a good fish oil supplement make sure you talk to a health care professional to recommend a well suited supplement for yourself or your little one. Any question give Better Health Clinic a call, we will assist you with all your health questions.