This recipe for “Eat Your Greens Detox Soup,” comes from The Oh She Glows Cookbook by Angela Liddon.
This soup is great for cleansing and detoxifying your body, especially before or after the indulgent holiday season. It’s packed with immunity-boosting ingredients like broccoli, ginger, mushrooms, kale, nori, and garlic.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups sliced cremini or white button mushrooms (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- Fine-grain sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 to 3 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 large nori seaweed sheets, cut into 1-inch strips (optional)
- 2 cups torn kale leaves
- Fresh lemon juice, for serving (optional)
In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes, until the onion is soft and translucent.
Add the mushrooms, carrots, and broccoli and stir to combine. Season generously with salt and pepper and sauté for 5 minutes more.
Stir in the ginger, turmeric, cumin, and cinnamon and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, until fragrant.
Add the broth and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 10 to 20 minutes.
Just before serving, stir in the nori (if using) and kale and cook until wilted. Season with salt and pepper and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, if desired.