Recipes for Back to School – A Day in The Life!
A healthy well-balanced lunch for kids of all ages should consist of a couple servings of vegetables at least one serving of animal protein and some good fats wherever you can sneak them in! An example would be a creamy broccoli salad (that gets better the longer it sits) and paleo nut free chicken fingers, that taste just as good cold as the do warm. This is fun to do the night before with the kids and if you make lots of the fingers there great to throw in the freezer for another day that week! Easy peesy! Here are the recipes for both:
Creamy Broccoli Salad
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets, approx. 4 cups
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 Tbsp red onion, fine dice
- 4 strips bacon, crumbled
- ½ bell pepper, fine dice
- ¼ cup some kind of fruit – halved grapes, pomegranate seeds, dried cranberries
- 2 Tbsp some kind of nuts/seeds – sunflower seeds, pecans, walnuts (optional)
- 2/3 cup Paleo Mayo OR regular mayo
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp sweet vinegar – apple cider, raspberry, coconut, or white balsamic
- salt and pepper
- Trim broccoli florets into small knuckle sized pieces. Reserve stems for broccoli slaw or stir-fry.
- Mix mayo, garlic, vinegar, salt and pepper in large bowl.
- Add broccoli, grated carrot, crumbled bacon, red onion, fruit and nuts to bowl and toss thoroughly to coat.
- 6 free-range chicken breasts, sliced in 3-5 strips and pounded thin
- 1 cup coconut oil, for frying
- Egg Wash:
- 2 eggs, whisked
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ Tbsp garlic powder
- ½ Tbsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- ½ cup graded parm cheese
- 2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Mix all egg wash ingredients and all breading ingredients in separate bowls.
- Dip strips one at a time in egg wash, then breading mixture. Coat evenly.
- Fry in batches using 1/3 cup hot coconut oil each batch.
- Lay out of baking sheet and finish in the over for 10min – till completely cooked through
Not sure what to make for breakfast before school?
We all know there’s not much time in the morning to make anything, so better than just running to have some cereal how about making a healthy kid approved morning energizing smoothie?! Takes 10min to make and it will start your kid’s day off with a bang! Here is a simple recipe for a well-balanced breakfast smoothie!
Energizing Breakfast Smoothie
- 2 cups coconut water
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 scoops vanilla protein powder OR Collagen powder (optional)
- 2 bananas
- 4 tbsp flax seeds, ground
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 cups frozen cherries or mixed berries
- 1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries
- 3 handful spinach
- 3 tbsp hemp hearts
- Put all ingredients into blender, blend on high for 2-5min and then serve!
How about a quick delicious and fun dinner when the kids get home?
Chicken wings are loved by most, but when you get them good and salty and crispy they are the best! The recipe below is very easy and very tasty, it also gets in lots of those good fats that are very important for growing those growing children! Just serve with some fresh cut up veggies and you have a quick, very healthy and well-balanced meal!
Coconut oil Chicken Wings:
- 1-3 lbs chicken wings
- 1 ½ – 2 ½ cups of melted coconut oil
- garlic powder to taste
- Himalayan salt to taste (more is better)
- Smokey paprika
- Heat oven to 475 F
- Melt coconut oil on the stove
- Toss in a big bowl all ingredients till coconut oil just starts solidifying again
- Place wings flat on a baking tray, skin side up
- Cook at 475 for 30 min then turn down to 450 for 30 more min, must be crispy